Serves 4 to 6
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece whole ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or coconut milk
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice, to serve
Cut the chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces and transfer them to a 3-quart or larger slow cooker. Stir in the onion, garlic, ginger, tomato paste, 1 tablespoon of garam masala, paprika, and kosher salt until the chicken is evenly covered with spices. Stir in the diced tomatoes with their juices.
Cover the slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. Fifteen minutes before the end of cooking, stir in the heavy cream. If you prefer a thicker sauce, leave the slow cooker uncovered for the last 15 minutes. Taste and add more garam masala or salt to taste.
Serve over rice with fresh cilantro sprinkled over the top of each serving. The tikka masala can be refrigerated for 3 to 4 days or frozen for 3 to 4 months.
Serveres med nan brød og Raita:
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 cups plain, whole-milk yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander or mint leaves, chopped
- cayenne or paprika to garnish